Cantrell PLLC regularly litigates significant employment related cases. The firm’s track record in this field speaks for itself, both for individual disputes and class/collective actions. By representing companies, executives and individuals, the attorneys at Cantrell PLLC possess a unique perspective on how to approach each dispute to yield a favorable result. In addition to its robust employment litigation practice, the firm also provides general counseling and training on employment law compliance.
WHAT WE HANDLE
- Unpaid wages, commissions and bonuses
- Unpaid overtime
- Independent contractor misclassification
- Equal Pay Act
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Discrimination, retaliation and harassment
- Employment contracts
- Restrictive covenants (i.e., non-competes, non-solicits, non-disclosures)
- Trade secret disputes
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for a national medical company in a three-day arbitration in Miami, Florida. The case involved a former sales executive who asserted race discrimination, defamation, and fraud claims seeking more than $500,000. In response, the national medical company asserted a counter-claim against the executive for breach of fiduciary duty for attempting to create a competing medical company while still an employee. The arbitrator denied all claims alleged by the former executive, entered a verdict in favor of the medical company and ordered the former executive to pay the medical company’s attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Obtained settlement worth more than $100,000 on behalf of an individual asserting unpaid overtime claims, under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and claims for unpaid commissions.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in favor of a Florida gaming company, in a collective action where the plaintiff alleged that the inclusion of certain employees in a tip pool violated the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The plaintiff sought to certify the collective action and sought damages on behalf of a group of employees for the alleged violations. A federal court in Tampa, Florida ruled that the company’s pay practices did not violate the FLSA and dismissed the plaintiff’s case, with prejudice.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on behalf of a hospital following a two-day jury trial in a case where a former employee sought nearly $1 million for her alleged unlawful termination under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Based on the evidence presented, the jury concluded the hospital’s reasons for termination were legitimate and not unlawful.
- Reached extremely favorable pre-suit settlement on behalf of Plaintiff in a case involving his employer’s Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations. Plaintiff was terminated shortly after what should have been considered a qualifying medical event under the FMLA. As part of the pre-suit settlement, obtained actual damages for past lost wages, liquidated damages and reinstatement of employment for the client.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for a hospital in a lawsuit alleging Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations by a former employee. After extensive discovery, briefing, and oral argument, a federal court in West Palm Beach, Florida dismissed the entire case before trial.
The firm’s clients range from Fortune 500 companies and middle-market and high growth companies to entrepreneurs and individual executives. Cantrell PLLC seeks always to represent its clients efficiently and effectively. That statement is more than a mere platitude. To help ensure each client receives efficient and effective representation, the firm implements several policies and practices with respect to: (i) obtaining a client’s desired objective; (ii) fee structures; and (iii) responsiveness.
As a firm hallmark, the firm prepares a detailed strategy upfront for each client, always with an eye towards the client’s ultimate objectives. We know every part of a case we take on and do not lose sight of the big picture. That approach requires, however, that the firm limit the number of clients we represent at any given time. Again, Cantrell PLLC is not interested in attempting to serve any business for any matter. We instead handle only a select handful of cases that involve the firm’s core competencies.
We also pledge to always try to respond to clients within one business day, in addition to always keeping them abreast of developments. As any good attorney knows, the best resource to help win is always the client.
Finally, unlike other firms, Cantrell PLLC often structures fee arrangements that emphasize risk-sharing and efficiency. Such arrangements can provide an advantage over other firms that will not, or cannot, put their own skin in the game.